2014-07-15

Correlation may not be Causation

...but correlation may be standing the corner, flirtatiously winking. And saying sweetly, 'yes, it does look like I caused that.'

Donald Sensing has linked to an article and chart titled Marriage Makes Us Stronger.

The chart shows that the kind of people who marry tend to be the kind of people who do better at many things in life.

However, it doesn't show that marriage is the cause. It only shows that the two effects travel together. (Heck, a successful middle-class life might be the cause of stable marriage...or both might be caused by outside factors.)

Still, if the conclusion is that Government policies which discourage marriage may be bad things...then I can agree. For other reasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I like thoughtful feedback; I prefer polite feedback.

I don't like screeds.

Comments older than a few days will have comments go into moderation.