2013-04-18

Explosive events

Over the weekend, a pair of explosives went off near the endpoint of the Boston Marathon.

Also this week, a large explosion happened at a fertilizer factory in Texas. This blast had more fatalities, and apparently a larger blast radius.

(Educational note: ammonium-nitrate compounds, in truck-sized quantities, pack a big punch. Much bigger than portable quantities of black powder. But I think that's old news...)

Attacks like those in Boston are rare in the U.S. So are industrial accidents involving large amounts of explosives.

Yet they are just common enough to remind me that death and harm can come unexpectedly, and in many forms. I pray that these events don't become more common.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I like thoughtful feedback; I prefer polite feedback.

I don't like screeds.

Comments older than a few days will have comments go into moderation.