2014-09-22

Two kinds of motorcycle riders

There's a saying among people who ride motorcycles.

Roughly, there are two sets of riders. Set 1 contains riders who have fallen off their motorcycle while riding. Set 2 contains those who have not fallen off their motorcycle...yet.

Up until this past week, I was in Set 2.

On Friday, while beginning a broad curve entering the parking lot at work, I saw what looked like an obstacle in that broad, sweeping path. I quickly tried to cut the curve much tighter...and felt the motorcycle fall over underneath me, while I landed on my chest and skidded to a stop.

A moment later, I stood up and dusted myself off.

My protective gear for that ride (helmet, jacket, gloves) kept me from serious harm. Though my knee somehow got skinned (without my pants tearing). And my chin felt bruised from the way it impacted the inside of my helmet.

Though I got a little ribbing from the guys in the office...

The motorcycle is a little worse for the wear. She's missing the big plexi-glass fairing that used to be on front, and missing one of the mirrors on the handlebar.

All told, I'm happy to have survived the event. Though I'd be a little happier if I could have done so without landing face-first on the pavement.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I like thoughtful feedback; I prefer polite feedback.

I don't like screeds.

Comments older than a few days will have comments go into moderation.